Permanent floor finishes have not yet been invented so you will have to refinish your floors regularly. Regularly can mean different things for different people. A commercial floor with a lot of traffic will have to be refinished much more often than a domestic floor with normal domestic traffic. How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?
Even if the wood floor is not subjected to a lot of traffic, the finish on the floor will change colour and look a bit tired after few years. There are a few factors which can make your wooden floors look more worn out and jaded than they should be. How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?
a. Wrong cleaning products
b. A lot of direct sunlight
c. A lot of heavy traffic
d. Too much water
- Wrong Cleaning Products – using a high PH (acidic) floor cleaner can permanently damage the shine of your floors and can make a brand new floor look old. Bleach based floor cleaners can have the same dulling effect.
- A lot of sunlight – direct exposure to the sunlight will change the colour of your floors in a matter of days. Having a rug on the floor will also stain your floor in a funny way. The floor will brighten up in the area left uncovered and it will stay unchanged in the area under the rug.
- A lot of heavy traffic – a wood floor will look perfect after being refinished. It will be fully protected and ready for use. But any type of floor finish, one pack or two packs has a limited life expectancy. If you have a few hundred or thousand people walking on the wood floor daily it will reduce the periods between floor refinishing. The traffic will bring a lot of negative things to your floors. First the friction itself will wear off your floor. Then the dirt from shoes will attack the finish on your floors. Plus more cleaning and maintenance will be required.
- Too much water – entrance hallway floors which are used by people walking in and out of a property will damage quicker. All the water from the rain will be brought onto your floors. It is just a matter of time before the floor finish cracks and water saturation damage appears. Also, mopping the floor with too much water is one of the main reasons for wood damage.
- Pets – dogs are wood floors number 1 enemy. Especially small, energetic dogs. A pet is likely to be full of energy and most pets have sharp nails even if most pet owners keep the pet nails short. Excited pets will run and sleep on wood floor. All this energetic fun will scratch the finish of the floor and will create spaces for water to penetrate the floor. Watermarks will appear and the floor will look stained.
Here are some of the most common reasons why a floor needs to be refinished. There are high traffic water based floor varnishes that are designed to take a lot of use and abuse but all will eventually wear off. A floor sanding company needs to be contacted once in a while (every 3 years) to assess the wood floor. Even if the floor looks clean, a trained eye will be able to see imperfections and issues, if there are any issues. How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?
Wood floors have to be refinished regularly. Waxed wood floors should be refreshed every 6 months. Refreshing a waxed floor is a pretty easy operation and no training is required. Floors that are finished with a varnish can also be refreshed or sealed with a water based wood floor polish. Solid wood floors are designed to last for a lifetime if properly maintained. How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?
Have a look under the heaters, around the kitchen area, at door entrances etc. to see if you notice black spots on your floors. Black spots are a sign of water damage and you need to act fast to sort it out and prevent further damage. There are many floor sanding companies in Dublin that would love to help you out. Bear in mind, it is cheaper to prevent than repair. How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?
*** most floors have to be refinished every 5 years. If there is a lot of traffic, the periods between floor refinishing is reducing by 50%***
How Often Should I Refinish My Wood Floor?